Re: Inclusion of websocket library

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: Re: Inclusion of websocket library
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:56:36 -0400

OK, sounds like a good thing. How do I go about uploading my code to GNU ELPA, and keeping it updated?

On Jul 31, 2013 12:25 AM, "Stefan Monnier" <address@hidden> wrote:
> What is involved is putting this on GNU ELPA?

Mostly, signing copyright paperwork.

> I can certain do that, and maintain it there, but since my package is
> already available via Marmalade, it is already available via an ELPA
> that (I think) most ELPA-users are using.  Is there a further
> advantage to putting this on the GNU ELPA specifically?

Some advantages:
- the GNU ELPA archive is the only archive that's configured by default,
  so you can tell people to M-x package-install without worrying about
  whether or not they've added Marmalade to their config.
- the code uses the same copyright rules as Emacs code, so that we can
  easily move code between the two.  IOW it'd be ready for inclusion in
  Emacs proper.
- all Emacs maintainers have write access to the code, so it can benefit
  from random cleanups or adjustments to new features.

        Stefan