Re: Tests and copyright

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Tests and copyright
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 18:10:37 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
> My opinion is that it is not necessary to get copyright assignments for
> the test cases themselves (e.g. the files in emacs/test/indent, or the
> compile-tests--test-regexps-data var in test/automated/compile-tests.el).
>
> That still leaves open the question for the code written to actually run
> the tests (e.g. the functions compile--test-error-line and
> compile-test-error-regexps in that same
> test/automated/compile-tests.el).  To the extent that this code is
> likely to have parts that can be reused between different sets of tests
> for different packages, I tend to think that it falls in the camp of
> "it's just code like any other".
>
>> Anyway, I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to wade through years of
>> log history, as if porting test code wasn't boring enough already.
>
> Is the above rule "lax enough" to significantly lighten your workload?

No, I'm afraid not; it's really about the code that runs the test.

So I guess I'll just have to look through the history; I guess/hope that
Eric has written almost all of it anyway. The main problem is that we
weren't very careful with the tests when migrating to bzr, so I'll have
to checkout the old CVS repository (and the crowd goes "Eww!", but I'm
sure they just marvel at Lars' shiny new browser).

-David