Re: ELPA commit freeze

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: ELPA commit freeze
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 09:31:36 +0300

On 19.08.2013 05:39, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Similarly, plain 'git log -- packages/js2-mode' shows the old history, and
does not include the commits from the upstream repo.

I have added the metadata of the branches I know, but have not (yet)
updated those packages to be in sync with the latest commit of
those branches.

I don't understand why you're talking about branches. I mean the packages/js2-mode directory. And yes, plain 'git log' shows its whole history (aside from a couple of latest commits), plus histories of other projects and ELPA itself.

But the history of packages/js2-mode directory, which should be (almost) identical with the upstream, isn't.

Then I did 'git subtree pull --prefix=packages/js2-mode <upstream>', it
succeeded, 'git subtree push' still didn't work after that, but 'git subtree
split ... -b js2-mode' followed by 'git co js2-mode' and 'git push'
succeeded, pushing the whole damn elpa history to
address@hidden:mooz/js2-mode.git.

why the whole elpa history got carried over to the
split tree.

The packages/js2-mode subtree history is wrong, so the wrong history got pushed. I could try to pose these questions to apenwarr, but we're dealing with a complex repository here, and the subtrees were not added the recommended way (AFAICT), so there's little motivation for him to answer.

Further, I'm still not receiving notifications for commits made in
elpa/packages/js2-mode. Should I explicitly add a "Maintainer:" header?

AFAIK noone committed to that branch (other than yourself, but the
email is not sent to the guy who did the push, since presumably he
knows about those changes already).

You did. See 293db6e (Fix up copyrights and the checking code).