Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 14:38:12 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > Or maybe "just" use a new, chromeless frame.
 >
 > XEmacs did that many years ago (Stephen can tell if it still does).

It still does that.

 > I didn't like it then: a new frame forces you to switch focus to
 > it, at least with some window managers.

Never heard of that.  However, our frame management code is rather
different from Emacs's.  Maybe somebody found a way to avoid that (or
maybe XEmacs users don't use those window managers).

 > A popup frame also obscures the window you are working in, which is
 > also a nuisance.

Yeah, we've never fixed that.  Of course the developer can position
the popup by hand, but that sucks, too.  But for something the size of
a toolip (typically with relatively small font size, too) and no frame
decorations, it doesn't bug me anywhere as much, YMMV.

If you've got transparency working, maybe that would be worth trying
(transparent background, alpha=.5 foreground?)  Modern browsers also
often fadeout the popup gradually (I think that's an admission that
the design -- using a popup -- is fundamentally broken, but again YMMV).