Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Allen S. Rout
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:42:52 -0500

On 11/23/2013 03:22 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The layout depends on the medium in very minor ways, as long as we are
> talking about the "usual" page sizes.  If what you have in mind is A3
> paper or greeting cards, then the layout is indeed greatly affected,
> but that's taking the issue to its extreme.
>
> IOW, WYSIWYG is much more than just layout.

I think this is a critical point, and I think that Eli is deeply
incorrect here.  WYSIWYG is -only- about layout, for the overwhelming
majority of its users.  I think that's why many of us aren't so fond of it.

There is no distinction between letter and greeting cards which is not
present in the comparison between letter and
letter-with-really-small-margins. Line breaks, kerning, justification
details... all of this is relevant if we actually want WYSIWYG.

Maybe we could aim for a different target?   What You See Is Pretty Close?

- Allen S. Rout