Re: Emacs as word processor

From: T.V. Raman
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 08:32:33 -0800

In the long run, I believe all of markdown, org, rst and any
other form of text files with some level of embedded markup will
 survive the test of time in the following sense:

1. Content created using these will survive and be usable 20
years from now even if those specific processors disappear.

I fail  to hold the same confidence about word-processor formats,
even if those choose XML  as a serialization -- though at one
point I hoped that XML  would indeed  help move that ball
forward.

See this article
"Fancy Color Paper Universe"
http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/publications/colored-paper.html
(it's only 2 pages) thatI wrote  in 2000. Nearly
15 years later, the only post-script I would add is that much to
my disappointment, the Web too has turned into one more fancy
colored piece of paper.