Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 09:28:15 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > >> column-number-mode
 >
 > We could enable this.

XEmacs has enabled it by default for a decade.  It's not unpopular.
We've had only one or two complaints about the flicker in the
modeline, and those from Ancien Hacquers.

 > >> delete-selection-mode

This gets vocifierous opposition although it's undeniably popular.

 > >> global-linum-mode

Ditto, but not so popular.

 > >> show-paren-mode
 >
 > Too much in your face for me.  It doesn't seem to be that popular.

Vociferous opposition, no support for default when suggested.

 > >> uniquify
 >
 > Already enabled by default now.

Ditto.

FWIW, the important one is column-number-mode which is tested and
liked in our users.

Steve