Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Toby Cubitt
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 16:48:02 +0000

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 08:23:06PM +0400, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 03.01.2014 18:30, Toby Cubitt wrote:
> > (Though I don't think the `completion-at-point' mechanism is really rich
> > enough to let Predictive do its stuff properly; in particular updating
> > the frequency data after completing.)
>
> Seems that :exit-function can be used for this. See
> `completion-extra-properties'.

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately this isn't enough. In a typical
predictive-mode scenario, there are many possible completion candidates,
and Predictive needs to display them, and be told which of the candidates
was selected (or rejected).

Whereas, as I understand it, `completion-at-point' does "tab-completion",
i.e. expansion to the longest common prefix. :exit-function tells you
whether there was a unique completion, or if it was partially expanded
but not complete, or if it is complete can could be expanded further.

Predictive does allow standard "tab-completion", but it isn't so useful
for predictive completion. It isn't the main completion mechanism in
Predictive, nor is it the primary mechanism by which predictive trains
its frequency tables.

Toby
--
Dr T. S. Cubitt
Royal Society University Research Fellow

email: address@hidden
web:   www.dr-qubit.org