Re: Apologia for bzr

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Apologia for bzr
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 03:32:41 +0100

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 12:01 AM, chad <address@hidden> wrote:

On 05 Jan 2014, at 14:25, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 11:13 PM, chad <address@hidden> wrote:

Windows as tabs by default would almost certainly improve familiarity by default.
The keybindings are confusing to many people. People who accidentally split-window are very confused.

Tabs is a very good feature, but it can't replace "split windows". The latter must be taught to beginners.

As stated, I disagree (and this is coming from a person who lived inside emacs-as-window-system for most of a year). It might come from seeing dozens (maybe hundreds) of smart people decide that “Quit Emacs” was the best way to accomplish what I would do with "C-x 1”, and that was before tabs.

I think that *help* and *completions* can teach beginners about split windows just fine, and from there they can learn about split-window-{below,right}, winner/windmove, pop-up-windows, frames, and tabs as fits their preferences.

All that’s IMHO, of course.

Eh, I do not think we disagree. ;-)
I just misread you. I thought you said split windows should be replaced by tabs. Sorry.

I think your suggestion is fine.