Re: Repo cpnversion progress report

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Repo cpnversion progress report
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:42:01 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
> The list of bzr revisions in changecomment lines is still too short,
> about one third of the real list.

I went through the putput of bzr log --levels 0 with grep and eyeball
last night; those are what I found.

It would be helpful if you were to supply what you think of as the
real list.

> Also, it looks like you are going to _replace_ the revision numbers
> with the time stamp, not just _add_ the time stamp?  If so, I strongly
> suggest to leave the revision numbers intact, so that we don't lose
> information.

After we change over, the Bazaar revision numbers will be meaningless
except as keys to a map file which is just going to associate them
with the action stamps I'm replacing them with.

Please explain what information you think is being lost here, because
I don't get it.

> > # Remove every .cvsignore not older than when .gitignores were
> > # first added.  Then rename all remaining (older) .cvsignores to
> > # corresponding .gitignore paths; the syntax is upward-compatible.
> > # The date marks the introduction of .gitignore files.
>
> This looks gratuitous and loses information.  I think you shouldn't be
> doing that.

What would you do instead?  What information do you believe the newer
.cvsignores carry that the .bzrignores and .gitignores do not?