Re: Wherein I argue for the inclusion of libnettle in Emacs 24.5

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Wherein I argue for the inclusion of libnettle in Emacs 24.5
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 14:44:16 -0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Linking Emacs at compile-time with all the libraries someone might
> potentially want to use at some point, leads for example to a Debian
> package that depends on umpteen libraries.

Well, I don't think many people are arguing for linking Emacs against
everything that everybody might possibly want.  At least I'm certainly
not.

The past few years I've argued for a few, and they've all been "free"
(i.e., they have not added the number of dependencies, since other
libraries already pulled them in (libxml, decompress)) and because we
had clear usages for them (parsing HTML, supporting HTTP).

Adding native encryption support is in the same category: It does not
add more dependencies, and we have a clear use case for it (making
.authinfo more secure, supporting cloud functionality).