Re: Wherein I argue for the inclusion of libnettle in Emacs 24.5

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Wherein I argue for the inclusion of libnettle in Emacs 24.5
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 21:28:00 -0500

> The past few years I've argued for a few, and they've all been "free"

They look free on the surface, but they're not free.

I want to move this outside the core, specifically so these things can
develop much more rapidly.

> (i.e., they have not added the number of dependencies, since other
> libraries already pulled them in (libxml, decompress)) and because we

These are not always automatically pulled in.  In many configurations
they are, but not all.  So I relented, but it's a slippery slope.
We need to look further than the next little step.

        Stefan

PS: for your immediate problem: let your tool assume some gpg-agent is
used and move on.  If such an agent is not available, that's a problem
in itself, regardless of what Emacs does, so other people should solve
it (and if noone solves it, then it's probably not worth our time trying
to solve it for them).