Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:44:13 +0200

On 13.02.2014 18:42, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Just `set-buffer' might be faster, indeed, but mostly because it's
written in C (e.g. it also has to iterate through the local variables to
save the old value and reload the new value for some of them).

Not the 100+ of them, though?

But then you have to add things like the need to handle variables that
are buffer-local but should be shared among the indirect buffers, and
I doubt the end result will be faster.  Plus handle all the bugs that
indirect buffers introduce (e.g. a modification in one of the indirect
buffers only runs its own after-change-functions, not the one of the
base buffer or any of the other indirect buffers; overlays added by
a major/minor mode in its indirect buffer won't affect the display of
the base buffer; ...).

This clearly calls for introduction of base-buffer-local variables!

Half-kidding aside, yeah, it sounds like indirect buffers might need some bugfixing to be usable as a building block for mmm-mode.

Hmm... I wonder why mmm-save-local-variables is defined the way it is.
It doesn't seem to make use of `buffer-local-variables', even though it's
the most natural starting point.  E.g. there shouldn't be a need to list
explicitly all the c-* variables.  Maybe the author didn't know about
buffer-local-variables (or it didn't exist back then)?

I'm not quite sure, but this way we only save the variables that are known to be safe in the multiple-mode context. And also don't touch anything mmm-mode itself introduced. For non-cc-engine modes, the lists of variables to save are quite short, on the order of ~30 items.

Apparently I was even wrong about saving and restoring being the slow part: `mmm-update-submode-region', which includes the calls to `mmm-save-changed-local-variables' and `mmm-set-local-variables', is faster than simply calling `buffer-local-variables'.

In a mixed-mode test file:

(js2-time (dotimes (_ 1000) (buffer-local-variables))) => 0.098

(js2-time (dotimes (_ 1000) (mmm-update-submode-region))) => 0.055

^- the latter was without the check "if mode unchanged, do nothing".

Now that I've checked, parsing the buffer into regions is definitely the slowest part (followed by fontification, which takes about 40% of the time in the current test example):

(js2-time (dotimes (_ 1000) (mmm-parse-buffer))) => 7.97

^- includes both `mmm-apply-classes' and `mmm-refontify-maybe'.

And it's a 30-line file.