Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:30:16 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> The need to "come up, design and implement" these things has been
>>> there for many years now. Unless things start moving in that
>>> direction step-by-step, I'm not confident anything "proper" will
>>> happen at all.
>>
>> Nothing will start moving unless Someone(TM) will move things.
>
> I'd expect each participant in the discussion to be willing to
> implement things they discuss that are within their area of
> expertise. E.g. Stefan to at least add that hook and modify the
> syntax-ppss caching behavior.

That's a popular misconception: the dictatoriate of the incompetent.
Just because somebody went to the pains to learn an art does not mean
that he is bound to do your bidding.  Gifts are foremost gifts, not
punishment.

> I really don't do C, and learning it just to contribute to Emacs seems
> like a major undertaking.

Oh, you could help a lot of people and projects in your newly gained
area of expertise then.

> Why there aren't many new contributors capable and interested in
> implementing new features at the C level, your guess is as good as
> mine (probably better).

They probably don't like the obligations coming with it.

--
David Kastrup