Re: Unibyte characters, strings, and buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unibyte characters, strings, and buffers
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 18:16:49 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 12:36:45 +0900
>
> Hey, I'm perfectly happy to go on that kind of evidence; the projects
> I mostly work on don't require assignment and I see no need for it.
> But we're talking here about Emacs, which is extremely careful about
> these things.

It would be madness IMO for Emacs to require legal paperwork from
everyone who at some point participated in some design discussion
here, which later got implemented, just because "design is expressive"
and "email is a medium" that fixes that expressiveness.  As a matter
of fact, this is not currently required, which I interpret as an
agreement with my understanding of the fine line that separates design
ideas from actual code.