Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117000: Untabify cl-macs.el

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117000: Untabify cl-macs.el
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:22:21 -0700

On 04/21/2014 11:17 AM, Josh wrote:
> I've sometimes wondered why trunk/.dir-locals.el doesn't also specify
> indent-tabs-mode, but I found the rationale in this thread[0] from
> several years ago.  Still, it would be nice to find a way to avoid the
> battle Eli mentioned so people could C-x h C-M-\ with less risk that
> their personal indentation preferences would introduce gratuitous
> whitespace changes.
>
> [0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-01/msg00058.html

We could introduce another indent-tabs-mode setting that would tell
Emacs, for each line to be indented, to use tabs if that line is already
indented with tabs, to use spaces if the line is already indented with
spaces when a tab could have been used, and to use spaces (or tabs)
otherwise --- but considering how touchy and particular people have
seemed to be about this issue, I wouldn't expect much support for
anything but the inconsistent status quo.