Re: Guile emacs thread (again)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Guile emacs thread (again)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:16:07 -0400

> Then perhaps the goals of the Guile-Emacs project should be shifted,
> such that the first goal is to have Emacs that can use Scheme
> extensions,

On the contrary, this should be one of the last goals.
The main goal should be to maximize the amount of existing code that
Emacs can benefit from.

IOW for Emacs-specific libraries, this requires bug-compatible Elisp
support, and for the rest it requires an FFI (and if some of the rest
can be supported more directly by sharing the underlying VM, that's even
better, tho I'd simply consider it as a "particular good kind of FFI").

Being able to access existing Scheme libraries is great.  But being able
to write Emacs extensions in Scheme is definitely not a priority and
might even be harmful to Emacs by making splitting the community and
wasting time on improving interoperability between the languages.

        Stefan