Re: Guile emacs thread (again)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Guile emacs thread (again)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 20:00:22 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 12:16:07 -0400
>
> > Then perhaps the goals of the Guile-Emacs project should be shifted,
> > such that the first goal is to have Emacs that can use Scheme
> > extensions,
>
> On the contrary, this should be one of the last goals.
> The main goal should be to maximize the amount of existing code that
> Emacs can benefit from.

You mean, what Guile already has, like FFI?  You will have that by
using Scheme extensions.  How's that a problem?

> Being able to access existing Scheme libraries is great.  But being able
> to write Emacs extensions in Scheme is definitely not a priority and
> might even be harmful to Emacs by making splitting the community and
> wasting time on improving interoperability between the languages.

OTOH, doing what I suggest is much easier, and will allow both sides
to learn about the other one without the kind of pressure which comes
with replacing the existing Lisp interpreter with a new one.