Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 16:24:11 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Could you move on to some other discussion?
> I mean, it's not like this is a problem we need to fix now (if ever).

Uh, Pango was an analogy example.  The actual question was whether Emacs
can or should delegate its character encoding/decoding processing (not
really significantly related to Pango but subject to similar
considerations) to GUILE's current mechanisms.  Which seem to be
libunistring via libiconv (both GNU libraries it would appear) rather
than the ICU mentioned elsewhere.

> So let's cross this bridge when we get there.

The GUILE bridge is there.  Robin Templeton's status of the port is that
it is mostly complete, with strings/buffers being the most notable part
obliterating acceptable performance via thick glue layers between Emacs'
and GUILE's different implementations of similar concepts.

Removing the thick glue layer requires that Emacs and GUILE strings (and
Emacs buffers and GUILE whatever) become exchangeable and offer the same
operations without impacting performance for either.

--
David Kastrup