Re: ELPAing all the GNU manuals

From: joakim
Subject: Re: ELPAing all the GNU manuals
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 14:12:41 +0200

Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> You'll get one more non-authoritative place to obtain all these
>>> manuals, and from this place they're not going to be up to date,
>>> unless you figure out some mechanism of keeping them up to date.
>>> Keeping them up to date is going to be a lot of work.
>>
>> Uh, I don't _want_ my info manuals to be up to date.  I want them to
>> correspond to the software version I have installed.  I have nothing to
>> gain from using copy&paste of some code from a manual that is not yet
>> supported by my software.
>
> I've just realized I am asking for permission and I should just be
> doing.
>

> But here's one reason why things do go into ELPA. General negativity
> being almost always the first reaction on this list.

So, I will play good cop.

To me it sounds like a cool idea.

Apart from just being good cop, I see some actual benefits.

There is precedence in the Java world for this sort of thing, and there
its pretty useful.

In the Emacs world, we would gain increased visibility of the GNU
world from within Emacs. ELPA browser frontends will also be nicer.

Now over to the bad cops...

--
Joakim Verona