Re: Version naming

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Version naming
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:31:59 +0200

>> The info pages complicate things a bit since we have to have
>> /usr/share/info/emacs-XY.

> One other thing that would be handy (if it's not already possible) is an
> easy way to generate and install info pages for multiple major releases
> (at least) at the same time.

> In Debian, as a hack, we just store all the pages under
> .../share/info/emacs-N/, and then mangle the START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY to
> refer to emacs-N/foo instead of foo. i.e.

>   * Emacs: (emacs-24/emacs).               The extensible self-documenting
> text editor.

> This works somewhat, but I seem to recall there were some issues with
> either the standalone reader or Emacs (though perhaps they've been
> fixed).

Similar workaround in Gentoo: We install the Info pages in
/usr/share/info/emacs-N/ (with e.g., N = 24) and add the directory
corresponding to the currently active Emacs version to the INFOPATH
environment variable. As an additional hack, we add the directory also
to Info-directory-list in Emacs' site initialisation (and make sure
that it occurs first in the list).

This way, each Emacs will see the right version of its Info pages.
The standalone reader will see the version that was added to INFOPATH.

Ulrich