Re: Referring to revisions in the git future

From: Barry Warsaw
Subject: Re: Referring to revisions in the git future
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:20:45 -0400

On Oct 30, 2014, at 04:31 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

>The tension here is fundamental. You can have easy typo fixes, or you
>can have a record that is both reliable and snared, but not both. I
>think the latter is more important than the former.

It also requires more care in writing commit messages, since often (although I
can't speak for Emacs) commit messages and changelogs are intended for
different audiences.  When committing changes in Mailman for example, I'll
include a lot more detail about a change so that future developers have a good
history spelunking experience, but a changelog/NEWS file will give only the
higher level user visible changes.

Cheers,
-Barry