Re: Multiple next-error sources

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Multiple next-error sources
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 09:59:12 -0500

> The advantage of hooks is that it makes it easier for users to
> customize the behavior by adding and removing various entries.

While it's true that

    (add-hook 'next-error-functions #'my-function)

is shorter than

    (add-function :before-until next-error-function #'my-function)

I don't think it warrants the addition of a next-error-functions.

If the :before-until is the problematic part, then I guess we should
look for ways to improve that (e.g. a better name, or some way for
a variable to say that :before-until is the default when adding
functions to it?).

> Is add-function intended to replace hooks like this in general?

Somewhat, yes.  I have no intention to go around and replace existing
hooks in the forseeable future (except for those rare hooks that used
with-wrapper-hook), but I'll favor new foo-function over new
foo-functions.

        Stefan