Re: Fixing repository conversion errors.

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Fixing repository conversion errors.
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 09:41:02 -0700

Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> We need a procedure for this - I don't want us to lose another day and
> a half.  Copying Bob Proulx.  Here's how I think it should go:
>
> (1) We test a blocking repo hook that says "Closed for all pushes."
>
> (2) We schedule a maintainance day.
>
> (3) On that day, the blocking hook goes in place.  Repo is still
> available read-only.
>
> (3) I fix a downloaded copy, repack it, and upload it to Savannah
> as a tarball via ftp or scp.
>
> (4) Bob unpacks it on the same filesystem as the live repo, them moves
> the directory into place (an atomic operation).
>
> Bob, are you willing to do this?

Sure.  Happy to help.

Note that directory moves can't be atomic.  But things can be switched
pretty quickly.  Considering everything I think that is good enough.

A tar file or other is fine.  But I can easily set up a uniquely named
repository that only you know about and then you can simply upload to
it and inspect the result afterward.  That would create a git
repository as you wish it to be.  You can craft it in place.  Then
that can be swapped into place when you are happy with it.  That would
be my preference.  But either way is fine.

Bob