Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 17:29:38 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> "Download the repository twice" seems uncalled for.  One can always use
>>
>> git clone --mirror
>>
>> to create the second clone.
>
> But I thought the discussion demonstrated that this command alone does
> not guarantee the second clone will have all the branches.  Did I
> misunderstand?

It does...  But it creates a bare repository, which you then have to
move into the "emacs-24" directory as .git/ or provide a gitlink file
that points to it.

Again, the easiest way to clone the repo twice is to do exactly that and
have the second clone use the first as a reference repository.  A more
symmetric setup is to do the first clone into a bare repository and then
clone both working repos with reference to the first one:

git clone --bare git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs.git
git clone --reference emacs.git --branch master   master
git clone --reference emacs.git --branch emacs-24 emacs-24

If you remember to always do a "git remote update" first for the bare
repository before pulling in the work trees, you'll never copy any
object from the official repo more than once.  This also scales nicely
to even more repositories as long as you really keep a strict "one repo
per branch" workflow.

Regards,
Achim.