Re: [elpa] 01/01: Add requires to fix separate compilation.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] 01/01: Add requires to fix separate compilation.
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:45:17 -0500

>> No, "re-initialize" is never right because it loses history and might
>> overwrite and lose changes.  Just use "git merge", as usual.
> Well, yes, but in this concrete scenario the ELPA history isn't too
> important.

But overwriting and losing changes is important.
And breaking "git pull" for everyone who follows that branch can be
a problem as well.

> At least not to me if I could get bidirectional "git
> merge"-ability otherwise.

"bidirectional merge" and re-initializing the branch are
largely unrelated.

The one and only thing you need for "bidirectional merge" to work is
that both branches have the same content.  You can get there via "git
merge" just as well.

But currently the two branches are not identical.  Of course, you can
integrate all the elpa.git changes in AUCTeX's upstream which would make
the two branches identical, after which we can merge both ways, but
I suspect you won't quite like this option (e.g. the GNUmakefile I added
to elpa.git means that GNU make ignores the Makefile that should be used
for the "normal" build).

If you want bidirectional merging, I suggest you look at the diff
between the two and see what can be done to resolve those differences.
I tried to make the elpa.git differences "as small as possible" on my
side (tho I did allow myself some liberties), so I expect most of the
changes would need to happen on the auctex.git side, but obviously, some
changes would need to happen on the elpa.git side as well and I'd be
happy to help iron out the differences.

        Stefan