Re: Metaproblem, part 3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Metaproblem, part 3
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:40:36 +0200

> From: address@hidden (João Távora)
> Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 14:32:23 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:
>
> > Cheesy as it sounds, perhaps, what is needed is "mentors". So, someone
> > wants to fix something or change something about Emacs, they get a short
> > term mentor to help them through the process (both at a code level, and
> > at a rules of community level). So, the first piece of advice in
> > contribute wouldn't be "do this, do that", it would be "think of a
> > problem, ask for a mentor".
>
> +1 to this. In every software project I've worked on, some form of
> mentorship has proven essential in every first-time
> contribution. Including projects that I started, and including Emacs
> (thanks Stefan!).

I also think that we have mentoring here, so I don't understand what
exactly is this gripe about.  People ask questions, both here and on
bug-gnu-emacs, and get helpful answers and guidance even when the
questions are only tangentially related to Emacs (or even not at
all).  What exactly is missing?

Or maybe I don't understand what "mentoring" is being alluded to here.