Re: Metaproblem, part 3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Metaproblem, part 3
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 10:01:30 +0200

> Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 01:18:07 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden>:
> > I see worries about "hostile" environment, and suggestions for making
> > things more welcoming to new contributors.  I have to ask, what do all
> > you folks who are suggesting Emacs change its procedures think is in
> > it for the mentors and core developers?
>
> A future for Emacs.

That's a slogan.  You are trying to sell that to us, but so far you've
failed.

> I'm trying to get the project moving in a direction that will lower
> barriers to entry and attract new developers because I'm seriously
> concerned that without such changes Emacs will ossify and dwindle into
> irrelevance.

A laudable goal, but doing so requires a good analysis of what are the
barriers and how to lower them in practice.  Your suggestions are a
clear evidence that your analysis, if it was done, is incorrect and
misguided, and as result you are trying to solve the wrong problems
using methods that are dead wrong.  The controversy that follows
speaks volumes about that.