Re: maintaining FSF Emacs web page

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: maintaining FSF Emacs web page
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 11:57:42 -0600

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:
>I, for one, _much_ prefer editing text (markup or plain) to editing via
>web browsers. I also prefer reading local files; Emacs is _very_ good at
>searching and navigating among them (_much_ better than Firefox or
>Chrome in a wiki).
>
>I hope you are open to considering such arguments.

Oh, that's all I was ever proposing; no disagreement here.  I was never
proposing *editing* via a web browser.  In a earlier post I gave the
same criteria you give -- I wrote:

  > - Raw source is readable as-is
  >
  > - Has free software tools to generate good HTML
  >   (and we then treat HTML as the default output format)
  >
  > - Markup syntax is not burdensome

>That implies that there is also a mechanism that mirrors that directory
>to a web host somewhere (as monotone does).

Yes.  This is a pretty typical way of maintaining project web pages: a
post-commit / post-push trigger rebuilds the live web site HTML files.

>I would be ok with that, but _only_ if sufficient people step up to
>support it, with reasonable hope that they wont disappear after an
>initial effort.

Makes sense.  I wish I had time to help with the plumbing parts of this,
which are probably the hard parts (at least at first), but alas I don't.

Best,
-K