Re: [mentoring-done] a darkroom/writeroom mode for Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [mentoring-done] a darkroom/writeroom mode for Emacs
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:38:33 -0500

>> Personally, I use `git subtree merge'. IIRC, Stefan usually does `git merge
>> --strategy=subtree` instead.

Actually, nowadays, rather than --strategy=subtree I more often use an
explicit "-X subtree=packages/foo" so Git doesn't have to guess (this
is particularly important in the initial merge, where Git can't really
guess).

> Can you explain if this fundamentally different from my strategy, or is

My strategy is indeed the "same as yours", except that the "mv" are
performed by Git, but that makes a hell of a difference in terms of
conflict resolution.

IIUC the "git subtree merge" approach is somewhat similar except that
the merge metadata is thrown away and replaced by a "note" in the log
the remember which external revision was merged.

        Stefan