Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master c6f03ed: Fix a problem in url.el without GnuTLS
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:50:39 +0200

> From: David Engster <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:38:54 +0100
>
> David Engster writes:
> > Eli Zaretskii writes:
> >> David, is it possible to enhance gitmerge.el to take care of that
> >> automatically?  Otherwise I predict that people will keep making these
> >> mistakes forever.
> >
> > I was hoping that gitmerge already does it, since I lifted the ChangeLog
> > merge stuff directly from bzrmerge, which AFAIK also did the date
> > fixes. I'll take a look why that doesn't work anymore.
>
> It seems that this code will only fix dates for conflicted ChangeLog
> files. However, the changelog merge driver will avoid those conflicts,
> so nothing happens (Bzr had a changelog driver as well, so I'm not sure
> how it ever worked).

AFAIR, Bazaar's changelog merge plugin would simply put all the merged
ChangeLog entries from the other branch on top, so all you needed to
do was manually update the dates of the top entries.  Git's driver
tries to be more sophisticated, so some entries which come from the
other branch are inserted in-between the existing entries.  Which
makes the merged entries harder to find.