Re: HTML-Info design

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 17:54:39 +0100

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 04:56:22 -0500
>> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> Yes it can.  We just have to design ways to represent, in HTML, the
>> necessary data for these features to operate on.  Then implement the
>> features (perhaps in HTML for use in IceCat, perhaps in other ways
>> too).
>
> I'd need to see some initial design for that, in order to agree.
>
> I'm not an expert, but AFAIK HTML is not an extensible format, there's
> no place there to represent entities that are not already defined by
> whatever organizations that codify HTML.

You can use the class attribute in HTML for that:

Though everything used in HTML is not standard, yet. This discussion
(a few years old) seems to give a good glimps on how it evolves:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3659778/can-i-add-microdata-from-html5-to-a-xhtml-strict-site-and-still-be-compliant