Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 09:33:20 -0500

> It looks like root is a personal preference, there's still not much in
> terms of solid arguments of why to change a long time default, and the
> patch doesn't even give a way to get the current behavior, which most
> people like.

We don't really know what "most people like".  What we do know is that
the world of revision control has changed a lot since that code was
written: back then, there was simply no notion of "project root".

And since many operations in recent VCSes operate on the whole project,
I think it's very reasonable to assume that users will generally want to
see the whole project.

It's at least my case and Daniel's case.

We can provide the default-directory in M-n or something like that, but
Daniel's patch is good.

        Stefan