Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:47:42 -0500

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/11/2015 09:02 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>
>> that behavior is not what SVN/CVS users want...
>
> Could you elaborate on that?

> From what I remember of working with SVN, there's not much difference
> from the modern VC systems, and you usually want to see the status of
> the whole repository.

CVS does not work on the root level.
Even in SVN, it's ok and desirable to just look at a subdirectory.

vc-dir has used the current directory since the beginning, I haven't
seen any request to change it until now, it doesn't seem like changing
the default behavior after so many years when there were no requests to
do it is a good idea just because someone sent a patch to change it.

vc-hg displays the "Root" in the vc-dir header.  The intention with that
was to make it a button that would display vc-dir on the top level
directory.
All backends (especially vc-git) should implement that Root header and
implement a button for it...