Re: package.el dependencies

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: package.el dependencies
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:55:29 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:

> I will not have a good connection until next week, so I am unable to
> push a branch, so I am just attaching patch of all my changes against
> package.el here.

So to summarize what this patch does:

1) Returns an error when trying to delete a package already used as
dependency by another package.  The first package already using the
package we are trying to delete is returned in error message.

2) When installing a package explicitely (interactively) record this
package in a variable named `packages-installed-directly'.
(NB: In this patch `package-install-from-buffer' is not doing this,
I think it should, I did this on my local branch,
it cover also `package-install-file' which reuse
`package-install-from-buffer')

3) Provide an autoremove command that remove all unneeded packages, i.e
the packages that are not needed as dependency (directly or indirectly)
by one of `packages-installed-directly'.

--
Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: