Re: Rationalising c[ad]\{2,5\}r.

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Rationalising c[ad]\{2,5\}r.
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 00:36:00 +0100

() Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
() Wed, 11 Mar 2015 23:00:54 +0000

   Thanks, I didn't know about `number-sequence'.  I'll start
   using it.  Just one thing, though, since `number-sequence' is
   also defined in subr.el, I'd have to wrap it in
   `eval-and-compile' to be able to use it in my macros.

Hmm.

   >  (defun gen-cXXr--make-seq (bits)
   >    "Generate a list of all integers with BITS bits, in ascending order."
   >    (number-sequence 0 (1- (lsh 1 bits))))

   That's short enough that I might not really need the function
   `gen-cXXr--make-seq'.

Less is more!

   `iota'?  A Greek letter, or a tiny amount.  I'm afraid you've
   lost me.  ;-)

I first heard of ‘iota’ in Scheme:

 (iota 8) => (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7)

which was inspired by APL (i believe):

 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_(programming_language)

although the APL ‘iota’ (written "ι" (U+03b9)) produces
a 1-based sequence instead of 0-based.  I wonder what the
Common Lisp idiom for this functionality would be...

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502