Re: git is screwed

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: git is screwed
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:56:19 +0100

Sam Gwydir wrote:
As far as I know, none. 'git pull' is basically an alias for 'git
fetch; git merge'. Many git users never use pull and always fetch
separately for more control.

git pull --ff-only
is pretty safe. I have it aliased to up (short for update):

; git config --global alias.up 'git pull --ff-only'
; git help up
`git up' is aliased to `pull --ff-only'

It will abort the merge if it can't be done using fast-forward.
(In other words, if the local branch has diverged from the remote.)

– Harald