Re: git is screwed

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: git is screwed
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:27:53 +0100

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
The vast majority have M in the first column and a space in the second.
That means they are modified in the index (uh, staging area is the
modern name for it). They will be the result of the incomplete merge:
Most of them are files that have been modified in the remote repository
but not locally. The Ds have been deleted, and the As have been added.

I could have added that this means those files marked M will be the result of successfully merging your changes with those in the remote. Think of it as the result piping diff output into patch. Or they are just the ones changed remotely, if you have made no local changes.

I have to go now, no time for the next couple hours. But perhaps someone
else will give you advice.

But now I *really* have to go.

– Harald