Re: Bad moves with xref-find-definitions

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: Bad moves with xref-find-definitions
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:42:34 +0200

 >>> Stefan Monnier on Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:24:29 -0400 wrote:

 >> 1) `find-tag` (previously bound to M-.) was prompting for a symbol
 >> before jumping to the definition.

 > You can still get the prompt, with C-u.

That's a bit besides the point. I want my interface to behave exactly
the same independently of the context at point. I also want consistency
with all other emacs completion. And, most importantly, I don't want to
foster bad habits because my brain always chooses the easy path -
navigate to a symbol instead of C-u.

C-u is an awkward solution. You always have to think before the actual
key press. Is the point on a symbol? Do you need that symbol? Is the
symbol that I need close enough to navigate to it? Shall you press C-u,
or maybe navigate to an empty space? All this pain for a marginal
speed-up in a rather corner case.

On radical UI changes a backward compatible option should be
provided. Especially in this case with so many arguments against the new
interface.

Such changes should be broadly discussed. Somewhat surprisingly the
thread that started the generalization [1] hasn't touched the issues
that I have raised.

So please. Could you please bring the standard Emacs UI back?

Thank you,

  Vitalie

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/176235