Re: xref-find-matches and stuff

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: xref-find-matches and stuff
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 19:15:21 +0300

> Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 11:36:03 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Not sure I understand: it does already work, if you say "make TAGS".
>
> Alas not here (on Windows).

You mean, "make TAGS" doesn't run or doesn't create TAGS files in src/
and in lisp/ ?  It does for me.

> When I am in frame.c with point on the first item of the line reading
>
>   Vmake_pointer_invisible = Qt;
>
> and I type M-. Emacs opens the file globals.h and moves there to the
> line reading
>
> #define Vmake_pointer_invisible globals.f_Vmake_pointer_invisible
>
> which is the only entry in the TAGS file containing
> Vmake_pointer_invisible.  So what am _I_ missing?

I'm not sure.  Are we still talking about support for DEFVAR_LISP
etc.?  If so, perhaps you need to say

  C-u M-. make-pointer-invisible RET

?

IOW, when etags finds those DEF* declarations in C files, it tags the
Lisp symbol name, not the C symbol name.  See the regular expressions
we pass to etags: they instruct etags to take the first token that
matches "[^"]+" after an opening parenthesis.  If we want to tag the C
symbol, we need to add another regexp for that.

Other than that, I see no problems in what you get from M-. because
Vmake_pointer_invisible is indeed a C macro defined on that line of
globals.h.  What did you expect to get instead?