Re: Package installation messages

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Package installation messages
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 11:20:22 +0300

On 05/15/2015 05:00 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I asked for it.  But after using it I agree that it sucks UI-wise.

I didn't mean to imply that Arthur implemented something entirely unwanted.

I think to make it work better, we'd need to make the download and the
install more separate.  E.g. when the download is done, rather than go
ahead and perform the install, inform the user that the download is done
and the install process can proceed, but wait for the user to
explicitly say "install now".

When that happens, will the user still be in the list-packages buffer? Or will they have an opportunity to quit and then be surprised by the yes-no install prompt?

What you're describing, looking at other applications, sounds more like an automated system to download *updates*, so that when the user does M-x list-packages, they can immediately install the updates. However, that might not be the best idea for us - the MELPA packages, for instance, update *very* often.