Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 20:32:09 +0300

> From: Steinar Bang <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 19:23:24 +0200

> > Also, this doesn't handle decomposed characters, as in 'å'.  So this
> > is not really Unicode-compliant, it's a half-measure of sorts.
>
> (I'm not sure it is relevant for this discussion, but to the actual
> users of "å", "å" isn't an "a-with-an-accent" but a proper letter in the
> alphabet with its own position in the alphabet.

That's true, but not really relevant.  What I was saying was that this
letter can be found in text either as a single codepoint, E5, or as a
sequence of 2 codepoints, 61 30A.  Unicode mandates that in certain
contexts, like search, users may want to treat both of these as
equivalent, and match them.

> When sorting

Sorting is a related, but different issue, because it also requires an
order relation between characters, whereas search only needs the
equal/not equal relation.

> In a search engine hits with "aa" instead of "å" would be expected,
> but in emacs search I would only expect to hit "å" and "Å")

You might, but others might have other expectations.  They should be
able to have them.