Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 07:37:02 -0700

Dmitry Gutov wrote:

The font-lock solution has other benefits; it could implement a different scheme
(or delegate the escaping step to substitute-command-keys, which seems a fine
idea now, actually). But it currently uses the syntax that's been requested:
"\\~".

I thought that font-lock couldn't use the same escape syntax that substitute-command-keys does, and that this was why you suggested \~ rather than \= -- i.e., so that one could use \= to escape characters that substitute-command-keys would otherwise interpret, and use \~ to escape characters that font-lock would otherwise interpret.

It would be better to use the one escape syntax, as it's one less thing to explain to Emacs users. But how would it work? I don't see how.