Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 15:49:53 +0200

Dmitry Gutov writes:
> On 08/02/2015 04:52 PM, Eric Ludlam wrote:
>> Perhaps all the work you're doing could just hang off ede since it only
>> takes 2 lines of code, and if it is missing some sort of pruning tricks,
>> it could just be added to ede.
>
> project.el defines a generic API. EDE is one implementation.

>From what I see in project.el, this is an API for defining a set of
directories. I'm not saying that Emacs does not need such an API, but I
would not call this a "project API". What about things like setting up
toolchains (compiler, linker, debugger), configurations (debug/release),
support for external build systems, setting up environment variables and
pre-processor symbols, and so on? I mean, this is the bread and butter
of projects in pretty much any IDE. Will you add this to project,el
eventually?  Otherwise, calling EDE an implementation of your generic
project API is pretty daring, IMHO.

-David