Re: disabling undo boundaries

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: disabling undo boundaries
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 17:49:01 -0600

[I'm late to this thread, but after reading the more recent portion,
this still seems a useful reply.]

> For self-insert-command, it's more tricky, and you'd probably need to do
> the extra manual work.  E.g. add a post-self-insert-hook which checks if
> this self-insert-command removed the previous undo-boundary and then
> remove it as well in the sibling buffer.  I can't see how undo.c could
> do that for you magically, since it doesn't know that the insertions in
> the sibling buffer are "clones" of the insertions in the main buffer,
> nor that it's done by self-insert-command.  Another approach would be
> for you to arrange such that your a-f-c uses self-insert-command rather
> than `insert' when cloning the insertion from a self-insert-command, but
> that's probably just as hard if not harder.

Shouldn't it be easy to write a function (callable from Lisp) that
emulates self-insert-command (and its special behavior w.r.t. undo),
except that it takes a character as an argument?

Davis

shipping.