Re: port x-symbol to GNU emacs 24.

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: port x-symbol to GNU emacs 24.
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 18:19:36 +0000

   > Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
   >> > What features are those you don't see elsewhere in Emacs?  (I'm
   >> > specifically asking about GNU Emacs, not XEmacs.)
   >>
   >> I think a picture says more than 1000 words, here is a screenshot. (I
   >> hope it will not be blocked).

   > Well, I guess you could use Emacs' built-in `prettify-symbols-mode' in
   > order to display TeX macros using some unicode characters (or
   > preview-latex of course).
I just switched `prettify-symbols-mode' on in a latex buffer but nothing
happens to \int or \alpha

   >> > GNU Emacs doesn't have extents and specifiers.
   >>
   >> But what would provide a similar feature?  I hoped somebody on the
   >> list could tell me.

   > Emacs' overlays serve the same purpose as XEmacs' extents, and I think
   > there is or has been some 3rd-party package providing a unified API for
   > overlays and extents.

   > But I have no clue what specifiers are...

   >> > My suggestion is to use the equivalent features provided by GNU
   >> > Emacs.  If you tell which features you miss, people here could
   >> > advise you about the replacements, either in core or in add-on
   >> > packages.
   >>
   >> Ok, so I have to dig more into the code or hope that somebody in
   >> xemacs-beta could point me out what is the GNU emacs equivalent to
   >> those functions. I still wonder how x-symbol could have worked under
   >> GNU emacs 21, given that extents and specifiers did not exist neither
   >> for emacs 21.

   > I just downloaded x-symbol 4.5.1, and in its x-symbol-emacs.el there are
   > several aliases defined for things that error for you.  For example,
   > `map-extents' is made an alias for `cl-map-overlays'.  So you have to
   > load that first.

I thought that as well, I had a (require 'x-symbol-emacs) in my init
file, but it seemed not to have worked. I will give it again a try.
   > Well, eventually when loading x-symbol.el I also got an
   > wrong-number-of-arguments error but that's probably an incompatibility
   > which is easy to fix.

Do you mean the

 - x-symbol-set-face-font: Wrong type argument: listp,
   "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1"

error? I hoped this is a wrong-number-of-arguments error but I don't
know how to fix it.

I will try again to load x-symbol-emacs manually and then will see.
Thanks

Uwe