RE: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 07:40:55 -0700 (PDT)

> Paul, these changes of yours are simply the Wrong Thing.  The fact
> that one "needs" such flaccid workarounds like EQM and the folding of
> quote characters with quote characters in (some of) the searching code
> should be taken as a hint just to stop and think hard.

Amen.  Handwriting on wall.  Look.  See.

> I predict that there will be an open-ended series of bugs following
> from this, little things that just don't quite work anymore, and their
> fixing will be difficult and introduce yet more complexity and more
> little things that don't quite work.
>
> Emacs is steadily getting more complicated, and these changes are
> gratuitous complexity.  I would say that Emacs's biggest danger at
> the moment is disappearing up its own complexity.  We should be
> resisting this process, not accelerating it.

Yes.  As I said a while back:

  So far, my impression is that there have been a shiPload of
  deep changes that try to work around all kinds of problems
  that have been introduced - and to work around the problems
  that those workarounds have introduced...

  I haven't seen such an invasive change in a long time (never?).
  Makes Rube Goldberg machines look Occam-elegant.  And for
  what?

For what?  Seriously.