Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF-8 encoded Lisp files
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 23:50:04 +0200

Chad Brown <address@hidden> writes:

>> On 26 Sep 2015, at 12:35, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> The relevant statistics for Emacs is of source files, not of HTML
>> pages.
>
> The default for GCC is UTF-8.

How so?  The default is defined by the compiled language.  For C, it is
essentially 8-bit bytes where the meaning-carrying subset is ASCII.
Everything else is just replication.

GCC communicates on the terminal with compiler diagnostics.  For that it
uses the current locale.

> Python requires a coding cookie (intentionally similar to Emacs’) to
> get away from Latin-1. Java is UTF-8. Javascript, roughly speaking,
> tracks HTML. Which other languages did you have in mind?

Emacs is, not least of all, a text editor.  I am currently using it to
write this Email reply.  Not everything that one uses Emacs for has a
well-defined default encoding.

--
David Kastrup