Re: Another others for maintainer?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Another others for maintainer?
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 12:23:52 -0700

>> I’m not saying the information isn’t there, simply that it’s overwhelming,
>> especially if you are more interested in improving existing code, instead
>> of, say, providing new modules.

> My advice is not to try to comprehend all of it. Instead, take some specific
> problem that needs to be solved (the bug tracker has many candidates, or
> maybe you have your own bug you want to fix or a feature you'd like to add),
> and study the parts(s) relevant to that single problem. Don't hesitate to
> ask questions here where you are unsure you understand the stuff. Add
> helpful comments to the code where the existing comments were not enough for
> you. Keep going until that single problem is solved. Then take another one,
> preferably in the same area of Emacs -- now you should feel more at home
> there, and things will move quicker. Rinse, repeat. It really works. You
> just need to take the first step, then the second, then the third. One step
> at a time. "Rome wasn't built in a day."

I couldn't agree more here, Rasmus. Eli paints the picture of a successful
Emacs development experience very well.

Start small, pick a problem of meaning to you, and chip away until done. We
are here to help every step of the way. You don't even need to understand
everything in order to begin: ask us questions, and we'll help you fill in the
blanks as you go.

John