Re: Locations of Tests

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Locations of Tests
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 20:07:01 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>> So, we have thingatpt.el (as a test), file-notify-tests.el (for filenotify).
>> There is also no reflection of the organisation of the lisp in the tests.
>> So, elisp-mode-tests.el at top level, while elisp-mode.el is in
>> lisp/progmodes. Similar issue with gnus-test.el and pcase.el.
>>
>> Is there an organisation for tests that I am unaware off? Would there be
>> interest in a policy based on file name?
>
> Huge interest. There should be a purely mechanical way of going from a source
> file in core, to the set of tests for that file. Then we could add M-x
> emacs-lisp-jump-to-test.
>
> I'd happily accept a patch to move things into accordance with the naming
> structure under lisp/.

Before we rename everything, wouldn't a simple directive in the source
file do the job?

;; Package-Tests: test/automated/file-notify-tests.el

I don't know how much of the path name shall be included there. We have
also files outside Emacs core, for example in Elpa. Here the path name
could start at the package root directory:

;; Package-Tests: tests/stream-tests.el

> John

Best regards, Michael.